UPB Green Campus Policy
Policy Statement on Managing UP Baguio as a Green Campus
MANDATE as the NATIONAL UNIVERSITY
The University of the Philippines is declared as the National University by virtue of Act. No. 1870, as amended and strengthened by Republic Act No. 9500 dated 29 April 2008, the functions of the University are as follows:
· To lead in setting academic standards and initiating innovations in teaching, research and faculty development in philosophy, the arts and humanities, the social sciences , the professions and engineering, natural sciences, mathematics and technology and maintain centers of technology in such disciplines and professions;
· Serve as a graduate university by providing advanced studies and specialization for scholars, scientists, writers, artists and professionals, especially those who serve on the faculty of state and private colleges and universities;
· Serve as a research university in various fields of expertise and specialization by conducting basic and applied research and development and promoting research and various colleges and universities and contributing to the application of knowledge;
· Lead as a public services university by providing various forms of community, public and volunteer service as well as scholarly and technical assistance to the government, the private sector, and civil society while maintaining its standards of excellence;
· Protect and promote the professional and economic rights and welfare of its academic and non-academic personnel;
· Provide opportunities for training and learning in leadership, responsible citizenship, and the development of democratic values, instructions and practice through academic and non-academic programs including sports and the enhancement of nationalism and national identity;
· Serve as a regional and global university in cooperation with international and scientific unions, networks of universities scholarly and professional associations in the AsiaPacific region and around the world;
· Provide democratic governance in the University based on collegially, representation accountability, transparency and active participation of its constituents, and promote the holding fora for students, faculty, research, extension and professional staff (REPS), staff and alumni to discuss non-academic issues affecting the university.
The EIDR-Towards Good Water Governance for Development Project, and Governance & Public Policy Program of Cordillera Studies Center, UP Baguio conducted an action planning workshop for the adopters of the Balili River in the Municipality of La Trinidad, Benguet. In cooperation with the municipal government represented by Mayor Edna C. Tabanda, the CSC collaborated with the Municipal Environment and Natural Resource Office led by Dwight Daodao in conducting a one-day workshop held at the Strawberry Valley Hotel on September 29, 2015. Mayor Edna Tabanda and Vice Mayor Romeo K. Salda graced the activity.
Prof. Jessica K. Cariño, EIDR-Water Governance Project Expert, discussed the various aspects that constitute the problem of the Balili River System from Baguio City to La Trinidad to Sablan. She emphasized the important role of citizens and challenged them as volunteers and partners of the government in addressing the problem. The planning workshop that was facilitated by GPP Program Head Arellano A. Colongon, Jr. generated a work plan for the period October 2015 to September 2016 that included regular clean-up activities and information campaign directed at changing the behavior of community members that are located near the river. Around 70 participants from the private sector, CSOs, academe, and the local government of La Trinidad participated in the workshop. They committed to achieve a cleaner Balili River by the next Balili River Day in September 2016.
The EIDR - Towards Good Water Governance for Development Project represented by Dr. Corazon Abansi engaged the municipal government of La Trinidad in the latter’s environmental efforts as part of the CSC and UP Baguio’s commitment to be of service to the Cordillera Region. (Toto Colongon and Ning Doble)